Rory McIlroy set to sign monster deal with Nike
Rory McIlroy is set to be announced as Nike's brand ambassador today, making him one of the highest paid sports stars on the planet.
The 23-year-old, multiple golf-major winner is thought to have been in discussions with Nike over the proposed 10-year-deal for some time.
It has been reported the deal will be worth between $200m (£124m) and $250m (£155m) over 10 years. Specific details of the deal are unlikely to be announced.
The deal will be announced at the Abu Dhabi golf championships, where McIlroy and Tiger Woods are playing in the HSBC Championships.
Such a deal would trump Nike’s commercial partnership with Woods, who has been Nike's brand ambassador for the past 16 years.
McIlroy's previous endorsements deal with golf brand Titliest, Oakley, hotel chain Jumeirah, luxury watchmaker Audemars Piguet and Santander.
But Jumeirah has announced it will not be renewing its sponsorship deal with the world number one golfer. Titliest and Oakley have also said they will not be renewing their sponsorship deals with the player.
Nike and Horizon Sports, McIlroy's agent were both unavailable for comment.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london