American Airlines in first brand overhaul for 45 years
American Airlines has unveiled its first brand overhaul for over 40 years, as the carrier looks to re-emerge from recent financial woes with a more "modern travel experience".
American Airlines: rolls out first rebrand since 1968
The British Airways oneworld alliance partner, which entered Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the US in November 2011, is to update the livery of its planes for the first time since 1968.
Its distinctive "silver bird" aircraft, with red and blue "AA" logo on the tail, will be replaced with a new, lighter design featuring a red, white and blue pattern on the tail. The new design was created by branding agency Futurebrand.
To promote the overhaul, American Airlines is rolling out a global campaign entitled 'Change is in the Air'. The TV execution features people from across the world staring up at the sky, before revealing they are gazing at the new-look planes. It ends with a voiceover stating, "Inspired by our past, but driven by the future, we are becoming a new American."
Virasb Vahidi, chief commercial officer at American Airlines, said: "Our new logo and livery are designed to reflect the passion for progress and the soaring spirit, which is uniquely American.
"Our core colours have been updated to reflect a more vibrant and welcoming spirit. The new tail, with stripes flying proudly, is a bold reflection of [the airline’s] origin and name. And our new flight symbol, an updated eagle, incorporates the many icons that people have come to associate with American, including the 'A' and the star."
American Airlines is expected to emerge from federal bankruptcy protection over the coming months and resume talks with US Airways over a possible merger.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Account Director - Branding & Packaging to £55k Network Career Consultants £45000 - £55000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Consultant Trace £45k to £50k total package, South East England / London (Greater) / Surrey / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (Wes...
- Business Development Director Newcastle Gateshead Initiative £50-60k plus benefits, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear / Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear
- Marketing Manager Nu Creative Talent £26500.00 - £33000.00 per annum + excellent benefits, Hertfordshire
- Midweight-Senior Creative Team Major Players £50000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)