Coke defends itself against PM's 'excessive' consumption comments
Coca-Cola has rebutted criticism from Prime Minister David Cameron, who told Parliament he was trying to steer his children away from drinking Coke.
David Cameron: against 'excessive' Coca-Cola (picture credit: David Devins)
Speaking in the House of Commons last week, Cameron said he aimed to stop 'excessive' amounts of the beverage being consumed in his household.
He said public health was one of the biggest challenges facing the UK, adding: 'As someone trying to bring up three children without excessive amounts of Coca-Cola, I know how big this challenge is.'
The soft-drinks company responded by arguing that its drinks can be consumed as part of a 'balanced lifestyle'.
Hilary Quinn, brand director for North West Europe and Nordics at Coca Cola, said: 'Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I'm sure David Cameron knows as well as anyone that [a balanced lifestyle] is as much about calories out as calories in.'
Quinn was speaking to Marketing at the unveiling of a major CSR drive, partnering environmental charity WWF to invest in Arctic conservation projects and raise awareness of the plight of polar bears.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...