Soft drinks brands sign up to government Responsibility Deal initiative
Lucozade, Ribena and J20 are among the latest brands to sign up to the government’s calorie reduction Responsibility Deal pledge, which aims to curb obesity levels.
Ribena: cutting calories
GlaxoSmithKline-owned (GSK) Ribena ready-to-drink and Lucozade Energy will reduce the amount of sugar and calories they contain by up to 10%. AG Barr, producers of IrnBru, will reduce the calorific content across its portfolio of drinks by 5%, while and J2O will launch two flavours in a new slim-line can, representing a 10% calorie reduction from its standard 275ml bottle.
The eight new drink and food manufacturers, supermarket and catering companies to have signed up today (22 January) include GSK, Co-Operative Food, Burtons Biscuits, AG Barr, Britvic and Dairy Crest. They join the 23 companies including Asda, Coca-Cola GB, Mars, Tesco and Subway that have already signed up.
Public Health Minister Anna Soubry said: "We are encouraged by the extra businesses which have signed up today but I want to see even more progress. All in the food industry have a part to play and I now expect companies which are not yet taking action to come forward and make pledges."
Melanie Leech, Director General at the Food and Drink Federation said: "Today’s announcement of a further wave of calorie reduction pledge signatories demonstrates the on-going voluntary commitment by the industry to improving public health.
"Our members were in the vanguard of calorie reduction signatories last year and I am delighted to see manufacturers again at the heart of today’s announcement," she added.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...