Soft drinks brands sign up to government Responsibility Deal initiative
Lucozade, Ribena and J20 are among the latest brands to sign up to the government’s calorie reduction Responsibility Deal pledge, which aims to curb obesity levels.
Ribena: cutting calories
GlaxoSmithKline-owned (GSK) Ribena ready-to-drink and Lucozade Energy will reduce the amount of sugar and calories they contain by up to 10%. AG Barr, producers of IrnBru, will reduce the calorific content across its portfolio of drinks by 5%, while and J2O will launch two flavours in a new slim-line can, representing a 10% calorie reduction from its standard 275ml bottle.
The eight new drink and food manufacturers, supermarket and catering companies to have signed up today (22 January) include GSK, Co-Operative Food, Burtons Biscuits, AG Barr, Britvic and Dairy Crest. They join the 23 companies including Asda, Coca-Cola GB, Mars, Tesco and Subway that have already signed up.
Public Health Minister Anna Soubry said: "We are encouraged by the extra businesses which have signed up today but I want to see even more progress. All in the food industry have a part to play and I now expect companies which are not yet taking action to come forward and make pledges."
Melanie Leech, Director General at the Food and Drink Federation said: "Today’s announcement of a further wave of calorie reduction pledge signatories demonstrates the on-going voluntary commitment by the industry to improving public health.
"Our members were in the vanguard of calorie reduction signatories last year and I am delighted to see manufacturers again at the heart of today’s announcement," she added.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Marketing & Communications Executive AF Selection Up to £25,000, Derbyshire
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Senior Designer Gabriele Skelton Ã‚£40000 per annum, City of London
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)