Tetley to sponsor rugby league Challenge Cup
Tetley is the new title sponsor of the rugby league Challenge Cup, replacing Leeds Metropolitan University, and the Yorkshire brewer will use the sponsorship to "reinvigorate" the brand.
Tetleys sponsorship: Carlsberg's UK communications director Bruce Ray, former player Martin Offiah and Nigel Wood, chief executive of the RFL
Leeds Metropolitan University has sponsored the tournament for the past six seasons.
Tetley was previously title sponsor of the league competition, the Super League, between 2000 and 2004.
It also has commercial partnerships with individual rugby league clubs, such as Leeds Rhinos and Wakefield Trinity Wildcats.
For the 2013 and 2014 seasons, the tournament will be known as The Tetley's Challenge Cup.
Carlsberg-owned Tetley is using the sponsorship to "reinvigorate" the brand, which is synonymous with its Yorkshire roots.
Tetley's sponsorship of rugby league has been a central plank of its marketing over the years. It also uses pitch-side hoardings as advertising channels.
The brewer will promote the sponsorship with on-pack promotions and other marketing initiatives, in a drive to broaden the appeal of the brand.
The Rugby Football League (RFL) is currently looking for a new Super League sponsor after it agreed to end its deal with the Stobart Group at the end of the 2012 season. Tetley has ruled out taking over this sponsorship.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Account Manager Better Placed Recruitment £32000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, Manchester
- Senior Producer/ Project Manager Purple Consultancy £38000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Designer - Suffolk ASG £25,000, Suffolk
- Point of Purchase Manager Stopgap £45000 per annum, West Midlands