Special K undergoes first recipe revamp for 30 years
Kellogg's Special K is to undergo a £5m marketing campaign supporting its first recipe change for 30 years, as the cereal maker looks to turn around flagging sales.
Special K: readies brand revamp
The marketing campaign kicks off in June, accompanied by a new pack design and a major sampling initiative. Kellogg's advertising agency is Leo Burnett.
The change in the recipe marks the first for the brand in 30 years.
From April, all variants of the cereal will include barley in addition to the current wheat and rice which is in Special K. It will also be made with wholegrain.
However, the changes have not prompted a change in the positioning of the brand, which will continue to target women and focus on weight management.
The new Special K recipe has been tested out in Italy and Spain.
Kellogg is also launching four lower-sugar children's cereals lines.
According to Nielsen, sales of Special K have fallen 15.1% to £103.5m between 2012 and 2011.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Marketing Manager Ibiza Rocks Salary: £30K-34K DOE, Based in London head office
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Senior Designer Gabriele Skelton Ã‚£40000 per annum, City of London
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)