Special K undergoes first recipe revamp for 30 years
Kellogg's Special K is to undergo a £5m marketing campaign supporting its first recipe change for 30 years, as the cereal maker looks to turn around flagging sales.
Special K: readies brand revamp
The marketing campaign kicks off in June, accompanied by a new pack design and a major sampling initiative. Kellogg's advertising agency is Leo Burnett.
The change in the recipe marks the first for the brand in 30 years.
From April, all variants of the cereal will include barley in addition to the current wheat and rice which is in Special K. It will also be made with wholegrain.
However, the changes have not prompted a change in the positioning of the brand, which will continue to target women and focus on weight management.
The new Special K recipe has been tested out in Italy and Spain.
Kellogg is also launching four lower-sugar children's cereals lines.
According to Nielsen, sales of Special K have fallen 15.1% to £103.5m between 2012 and 2011.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)