Virgin Media ends free Wi-Fi for all on the Tube
Wi-Fi on the London Underground will only be free to customers of Virgin Media, Vodafone and EE from today, as a result of deals that were announced last year.
Virgin Media: repackages Wi-Fi service on the Tube
Passengers who want to use Wi-Fi on the Tube and are not customers of one of the contributing networks can continue to access it on a pay-as-you go basis for either £2 for a day, £5 for a week or £15 for a month.
Passengers will also be able to purchase a monthly pass during February that will provide them with three months' access for the price of one, as a special offer.
However, everyone will still be able to access the free travel, entertainment and news content. Virgin Media estimates that 76% of Greater London consumers are subscribed to the service.
Virgin has emailed everyone who has signed up for the service on the London Underground link to tell them to register with their provider and move to the new service over the coming days.
Additionally, 11 more stations are moving online this week, taking the total number of connected stations up to 103. By the end of March 120 underground stations will have Wi-Fi.
The stations joining the network this week are: Gloucester Road; Highbury & Islington; Kentish Town; Great Portland Street; Hammersmith (District & Piccadilly); Tooting Bec; Tooting Broadway; Hampstead; Redbridge; and Blackhorse Road.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...