Councils improve winter weather comms
Councils dealing with heavy snowfall focused comms on emphasising preparations and generating 'a community response'.
Comms issues: Heavy snow
With snow falling on most of the UK, the Local Government Association's comms director David Holdstock said tough lessons had been learned when local authorities faced similar conditions two years ago.
There have been 520 regional and local stories, and 16 national newspaper articles around councils preparing for, and dealing with, the low recent temperatures.
'We talk about proactive comms, and local government learned a lot from two years ago, when we weren't explaining all the things we were doing to help residents,' he said.
Holdstock highlighted Nottinghamshire and Hillingdon councils, which both arranged photocalls in the autumn, when they had grit delivered, as examples of good practice and the way that preparations had been highlighted in the media.
This was followed by a survey sent out by the LGA, which showed winter readiness, the results of which were publicised.
Following the report, Holdstock said the LGA worked to support messaging across councils and put up an expert for a BBC TV interview, explaining that the decision with regard to school closures rested solely with head teachers.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...