No plans to make i free under Lebedevs
There are no plans to turn the 20p digest national newspaper i into a free title under the current ownership of the Lebedevs, sources have told Marketing.
Evgeny Lebedev: owner of the i newspaper
Evgeny Lebedev, the Russian owner of the i, gave a recent interview in which he floated the idea of turning the i into a freesheet, mirroring a similar move he made with the London Evening Standard.
Lebedev told the Sunday Times, "That’s something we’re definitely looking at."
However, sources have told Marketing that Lebedev offered the idea as a means to encourage new investment into the i and The Independent titles.
One well-placed source said: "There are no plans to turn the i free under the current owners."
It is well documented that Evgeny Lebedev and his father Alexander Lebedev, who also own The Independent and the London Evening Standard titles, are looking for a "minority partner" to invest in The Independent.
It is understood that the Lebedevs think that part-ownership of the UK's first free national newspaper would be a considerable lure to new investors, against the backdrop of a struggling paid-for national newspaper market.
The Independent is forecast to makes losses of £14m in the coming year. The Lebedevs are looking for a minority partner, in an effort to achieve forecast profits of up to £18m by the end of 2015.
Two years after acquiring a 75.1% stake in the Evening Standard from the Daily Mail & General Trust, the Lebedevs turned it into the London Evening Standard freesheet.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, Central London