Eric Cantona stars in ad to reinvent 'self-confident' Kronenbourg 1664
Heineken is to position its Kronenbourg 1664 brand as a "reward for self-confident men", with a new multimillion-pound campaign starring former Manchester United footballer Eric Cantona.
Eric Cantona: stars in Kronenbourg 1664 ad
The campaign marks the latest phase of Kronenbourg 1664's new strategy based around taste and provenance, including the strapline, ‘A Taste Suprême’, which launched in September last year.
In the 30-second TV ad, by Ogilvy & Mather, the Frenchman is seen sitting outside a bar in his native country, claiming that, in the Alsace region of France, hop farmers are treated with the same veneration as footballers in Britain.
To the sound of rock anthem ‘We are the champions’ by Queen, the men that grow the Strisselspalt hops are seen being pursued by paparazzi and beautiful women, while Cantona’s own presence goes unnoticed. A woman finally asks the footballer-turned-actor if he too is a farmer, to which he looks sideways at camera and responds by saying, ""Of course. Oui."
Jacco Van Der Linden, UK marketing director at Heineken, said: "The new campaign is a humorous homage to the farmers in Alsace who nurture the highly-prized Strisselspalt hops that give Kronenbourg 1664 its exceptional taste and aroma."
Media planning for the TV, outdoor, digital and social media push was carried out by MediaVest.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...