EasyJet slashes marketing spend but 'increases effectiveness'
EasyJet has cut its marketing budget by 15% over the past two years in the face of rising fuel costs, its chief executive has revealed.
Carolyn McCall: easyJet chief executive addressed Lead 2013
Airline boss Carolyn McCall made the revelation at the Advertising Association's Lead 2013 summit today, where she also unveiled plans to launch a "customer charter" for the first time in the airline's history.
Addressing the 300-strong audience of marketing and media professionals, McCall made the case for using brand-building to achieve business success, by reflecting on the marketing "relaunch" which rolled out over the past two years.
McCall said: "We have reduced our budget by 15%, but actually we have been much, much more effective. We still spend a lot of money, over £50m on advertising – it's a very significant spend for us."
"Most importantly for me, [consideration] has grown in both France and Italy. One in five consumers in those markets considers easyJet to be their first choice airline." A year ago, the equivalent figure was one in 10, McCall added.
McCall, who joined the budget carrier in July 2010, also revealed that easyJet plans to unveil a "customer charter" to its "passengers and potential passengers" in the summer.
She said the pledges contained in the charter had been shaped through a comprehensive set of focus groups with easyJet staff from every part of the business.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London