EasyJet slashes marketing spend but 'increases effectiveness'
EasyJet has cut its marketing budget by 15% over the past two years in the face of rising fuel costs, its chief executive has revealed.
Carolyn McCall: easyJet chief executive addressed Lead 2013
Airline boss Carolyn McCall made the revelation at the Advertising Association's Lead 2013 summit today, where she also unveiled plans to launch a "customer charter" for the first time in the airline's history.
Addressing the 300-strong audience of marketing and media professionals, McCall made the case for using brand-building to achieve business success, by reflecting on the marketing "relaunch" which rolled out over the past two years.
McCall said: "We have reduced our budget by 15%, but actually we have been much, much more effective. We still spend a lot of money, over £50m on advertising – it's a very significant spend for us."
"Most importantly for me, [consideration] has grown in both France and Italy. One in five consumers in those markets considers easyJet to be their first choice airline." A year ago, the equivalent figure was one in 10, McCall added.
McCall, who joined the budget carrier in July 2010, also revealed that easyJet plans to unveil a "customer charter" to its "passengers and potential passengers" in the summer.
She said the pledges contained in the charter had been shaped through a comprehensive set of focus groups with easyJet staff from every part of the business.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)