HMV's Twitter feed hijacked as reports of redundancies emerge
HMV employees have used the brand's official Twitter feed to live-blog mass redundancies taking place at the beleaguered high street entertainment chain.
HMV: Twitter account hijacked
Using the hashtag #hmvXFactorFiring, @HMVtweets claimed that staff were being fired by the HR department.
Administrator Deloitte subsequently confirmed that 190 people have been made redundant at the brand's head office and distribution centres.
The tweets (see below), which were quickly deleted, also claimed that the "marketing director" was asking "How do I shut down Twitter?".
HMV, which has 239 stores in the UK, went into administration two weeks ago. The 92-year-old company has struggled against online rivals such as Amazon.
Nick Edwards, joint administrator at Deloitte, said: "Following our review, a number of redundancies at the head office and distribution centres have been made. Although such decisions are always difficult, it is a necessary step in restructuring the business to enhance the prospects of securing its future as a going concern."
Click on image to enlarge
Read more on this story on The Wall blog: HMV shouldn't be closing down its Twitter feed.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London
- PPC Senior Executive - Big Brand - PPC Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Graphic Designer:(Fashion,Retail,Conceptual,Print, Digital) Creative Recruitment £23000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Paid Media Account Manager - Paid Search PPC - Agency Leader Ultimate Asset £28000 - £38000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- PR Senior Account Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £26000 - £33000 per annum, Manchester
- Biddable Paid Social Manager - Paid Media - FMCG Client Ultimate Asset £30000 - £40000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London