Burger King runs press ad admitting horse meat contamination
Burger King is today running an ad in the national press admitting that its burgers had been contaminated with horse meat DNA, marking a u-turn by the fast-food company.
Burger King: admits horse meat contamination of its burgers
The full-page ad is published as a letter to Burger King customers and admits that it has failed them.
The letter reveals that "very small trace levels" of horse DNA had been found in four samples at Burger King's Irish supplier, Silvercrest. However, Burger King insisted "this product was never sold to our restaurants."
Diego Beamonte, vice-president, global quality, Burger King Corporation, said: "While the Food Safety Authority of Ireland has stated that this is not a food safety issue, we are deeply troubled by the findings of our investigation and apologise to our guests, who trust us to source only the highest quality 100% beef burgers.
"Our supplier has failed us and in turn we have failed you. We are committed to ensuring that this does not happen again."
The admission marks a U-turn by the fast-food giant, which had previously given an "absolute assurance" its food was untainted.
Burger King has now ended its relationship with Silvercrest, which also supplied the tainted burgers to Tesco and Asda.
The press ad is running in today's issue of The Sun newspaper.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire