Nike and Morrisons first brands to launch Weve mobile ads
Nike and Morrisons will be the first brands to run mobile marketing campaigns simultaneously across the Vodafone, EE and O2 networks via the Weve joint venture.
Pizza Hut: previously run mobile ads with O2
The brands will run activity later this week spanning all three networks after Weve added Vodafone to its mobile advertising and commerce platform.
Morrisons and Nike will be able to contact 15m mobile users via Weve, using location-based, text and video messages.
O2 customers account for the bulk of the 15m users as a result of the network's long-running O2 More mobile ad platform, which has previously worked with Pizza Hut among other brands.
Weve is in the process of developing additional offerings, including display advertising and NFC-based loyalty services.
The announcement comes as Morrisons seeks to rapidly develop its digital proposition through the launch of non-food ecommerce sites. Speculation is growing that the retailer will launch an online grocery site.
Meanwhile, Nike continues to trial innovations, and recently hired Burberry's social media chief, Musa Tariq, to develop its communications.
Nancy Cruickshank, launch chief executive at Weve, said she hoped to move mobile beyond a platform for 'one-off' drives, and instead make it a platform for 'ground-breaking, innovative and long-term campaigns'.
Brands are still unable to reach consumers using either the Three, Virgin Mobile or Tesco Mobile networks via Weve because they are not yet part of the joint venture.
It is understood the trio have baulked at the tens of millions of pounds of investment that is required for them to become partners.
However, they remain in discussions with Weve about a lower-level service relationship, which would lead to brands being able to contact every UK mobile with a single campaign.
Weve has today (5 March) appointed David Sear as its permanent chief executive to replace Cruikshank, who will remain at the company part time until the end of March.
Sear was previously the divisional managing director of Travelex’s global business payments business.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London