Quorn claims sales lift in light of horsemeat controversy
Quorn, the meat substitute brand, is claiming that its sales have risen by up to 10% on the year in January, the month which witnessed the outbreak of the horsemeat scandal that forced Tesco to withdraw thousands of beefburgers from its shelves.
Quorn: meat substitute brand says sales are up 10% year on year
Tesco took thousands of beefburgers off its shelves after tests showed samples were found to contain horsemeat DNA
The contamination issue has also impacted on Burger King and Asda, and today, Findus withdrew its beef lasagne range.
Kevin Brennan, chief executive of Quorn Foods, referring to the horsemeat scandal said: "It is raising concerns about products and there is no doubt that our sales have been strong year on year in January."
Brennan believes that the scandal has meant consumers are more concerned about the provenance of the meat they are now buying from supermarkets.
He said sales of its Quorn products – which include ready meals such as Mexican chilli, tikka masala and meat-free burgers – lifted as much as 10% on the year in January.
The company did not breakout specific sales figures for the period.
Brennan said: "We are monitoring sales. I can't say for definite it is connected to the horsemeat scandal, but we are witnessing very strong sales in January. And there is no doubt people are concerned."Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior PPC Account Manager (In-house) Step Ahead Recruitment £30-£40K, Staines, Middlesex
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...