Quorn claims sales lift in light of horsemeat controversy
Quorn, the meat substitute brand, is claiming that its sales have risen by up to 10% on the year in January, the month which witnessed the outbreak of the horsemeat scandal that forced Tesco to withdraw thousands of beefburgers from its shelves.
Quorn: meat substitute brand says sales are up 10% year on year
Tesco took thousands of beefburgers off its shelves after tests showed samples were found to contain horsemeat DNA
The contamination issue has also impacted on Burger King and Asda, and today, Findus withdrew its beef lasagne range.
Kevin Brennan, chief executive of Quorn Foods, referring to the horsemeat scandal said: "It is raising concerns about products and there is no doubt that our sales have been strong year on year in January."
Brennan believes that the scandal has meant consumers are more concerned about the provenance of the meat they are now buying from supermarkets.
He said sales of its Quorn products – which include ready meals such as Mexican chilli, tikka masala and meat-free burgers – lifted as much as 10% on the year in January.
The company did not breakout specific sales figures for the period.
Brennan said: "We are monitoring sales. I can't say for definite it is connected to the horsemeat scandal, but we are witnessing very strong sales in January. And there is no doubt people are concerned."Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London