Weber Shandwick's Marcus Smith takes Liberty Global role
Liberty Global, the international group buying Virgin Media, has installed Marcus Smith as vice-president of media relations.
Marcus Smith: Liberty Global V-P of media relations
Based in Liberty Global’s London office, Smith will head the company’s media strategy and press relations from the beginning of March and will report to senior vice-president investor relations and corporate communications Rick Westerman.
Westerman said: ‘This key hire comes as we continue expanding our operations in Europe. Last week we announced our intention to acquire Virgin Media in the UK, which will give us a substantial presence in Europe’s largest and most dynamic media market.
‘Marcus will play an important role in communicating our activities both at the corporate level and throughout our European operations.’
Smith spent 18 years at Weber Shandwick, most recently as board director and head of international affairs. He also spent five years at Carlton Communications before joining WS.
Liberty Global runs a number of media brands in Europe including UPC, Unitymedia, Kabel BW, Telenet and VTR. Its plan to acquire Virgin Media will bring it into the UK pay-TV market and into competition with BSkyB.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire