Weber Shandwick's Marcus Smith takes Liberty Global role
Liberty Global, the international group buying Virgin Media, has installed Marcus Smith as vice-president of media relations.
Marcus Smith: Liberty Global V-P of media relations
Based in Liberty Global’s London office, Smith will head the company’s media strategy and press relations from the beginning of March and will report to senior vice-president investor relations and corporate communications Rick Westerman.
Westerman said: ‘This key hire comes as we continue expanding our operations in Europe. Last week we announced our intention to acquire Virgin Media in the UK, which will give us a substantial presence in Europe’s largest and most dynamic media market.
‘Marcus will play an important role in communicating our activities both at the corporate level and throughout our European operations.’
Smith spent 18 years at Weber Shandwick, most recently as board director and head of international affairs. He also spent five years at Carlton Communications before joining WS.
Liberty Global runs a number of media brands in Europe including UPC, Unitymedia, Kabel BW, Telenet and VTR. Its plan to acquire Virgin Media will bring it into the UK pay-TV market and into competition with BSkyB.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...