Independent on Sunday editor to leave in move to seven-day operation
The Independent on Sunday editor John Mullin is to leave the paper as part of changes that will have its editorial team integrated with its daily paper operation and could lead to the loss of 20 jobs.
Chris Blackhurst: to edit The Independent's seven-day operation (photo: Colin Stout)
The news follows its parent company winning the London TV licence and will lead to further integration between the Independent newspapers, the London Evening Standard and the new TV station.
As part of the plans outlined by managing director Andrew Mullins yesterday, The Independent is moving to a seven-day operation under editor Chris Blackhurst and will largely be located alongside the London Evening Standard, on the same floor.
Mullins said a TV news studio would be built on the editorial floor next to the news desk. He said he hoped existing Evening Standard and Independent journalists would play a part in the new TV station and would be inviting applications.
In the internal announcement, seen by Media Week, Mullins said he was "unsure how many job losses there will be at this stage, so we will be collectively consulting with staff across all editorial functions and all titles".
Mullins added: "We want to minimize compulsory redundancies and so voluntary redundancy applications from all titles will be considered."
Further integration of the editorial team apes the commercial side of the business, as Mullins, who has had responsibility for both the Evening Standard and the Independent titles since March 2010, merged their sales team in September 2011.
Alexander and Evgeny Lebedev bought the majority of the London Evening Standard in January 2009 and then acquired The Independent and Independent on Sunday in March 2010.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- .Net Developer - Agency Role - ASP.Net, .Net 4.0, CMS, Umbraco Digital Gurus £35000 - £50000 per annum + benefits, London
- Freelance Account Manager for award winning integrated agency! Zebra People £180 - £220 per day, East London
- Product Strategist Dyson Undisclosed, Malmesbury, Wiltshire
- Motion Graphic designer (with Flash Experience) Digital Gurus £30000 - £35000 per annum, London