Former BlackBerry boss sells off his entire stake in the company
Shares in BlackBerry fell last night as former co-chief executive officer, Jim Balsillie, sold off his sizeable stake in the company just weeks after the troubled mobile firm launched its big comeback.
New smartphone: the BlackBerry Z10
Balsillie held 26.8 million shares in BlackBerry, formerly Research in Motion, after he stepped down stepped down as CEO a year ago, when he was replaced by Thorsten Heins.
The news sent shares in BlackBerry down 3.4% to $13.52 (£8.71) in early trading on the Nasdaq. Shares in the Canadian firm also fell in Toronto by 3.5% to C$13.51 (£8.69).
The dumping of such a large stake by Balsillie, who was one of the largest individual shareholders in BlackBerry, is unlikely to inspire confidence in the firm that badly needs its new BlackBerry 10 operating system and Z10 phone to be a hit.
Balsillie had run BlackBerry with fellow former co-CEO Mike Lazaridis who is still at the company as vice-chairman. The pair stepped aside for Heins after shareholder criticism over the future direction of the company.
Some have praised the BlackBerry's new Z10 smartphone, which has received mixed reviews, but it faces a tough battle as it attempts to take on Apple and Samsung.Follow @gordonmacmillan
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)