BK Twitter feeds grows by 20,000 following hacking
Burger King's official feed is up-and-running today and boasting 20,000 new followers, after it was hijacked yesterday by hackers who changed is branding to arch-rival McDonalds.
Burger King: regains control of its Twitter account
Burger King's first Tweet today following the hijacking was "Interesting day here at BURGER KING, but we’re back! Welcome to our new followers. Hope you all stick around."
Yesterday's hackers put up the McDonalds logo and sent out messages for over an hour, before the account was shut down by Twitter.
The hackers told Burger King’s 89,000-plus followers that the company had "just got sold to McDonald’s because the whopper flopped".
Further posts on the account contained racial slurs, obscenities and references to drug use. No one has admitted to being behind the stunt but the hacking group Anonymous tweeted about the incident extensively.
A Burger King spokesman said: "We apologise to our followers who have been receiving erroneous tweets about other members of our industry and additional inappropriate topics."
Before the hacking, the Burger King Twitter feed had 89,000 followers, which has now grown to over 110,000.
The incident is similar to the messages sent out by a HMV employee after the struggling retailer fell into administration.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London