BK Twitter feeds grows by 20,000 following hacking
Burger King's official feed is up-and-running today and boasting 20,000 new followers, after it was hijacked yesterday by hackers who changed is branding to arch-rival McDonalds.
Burger King: regains control of its Twitter account
Burger King's first Tweet today following the hijacking was "Interesting day here at BURGER KING, but we’re back! Welcome to our new followers. Hope you all stick around."
Yesterday's hackers put up the McDonalds logo and sent out messages for over an hour, before the account was shut down by Twitter.
The hackers told Burger King’s 89,000-plus followers that the company had "just got sold to McDonald’s because the whopper flopped".
Further posts on the account contained racial slurs, obscenities and references to drug use. No one has admitted to being behind the stunt but the hacking group Anonymous tweeted about the incident extensively.
A Burger King spokesman said: "We apologise to our followers who have been receiving erroneous tweets about other members of our industry and additional inappropriate topics."
Before the hacking, the Burger King Twitter feed had 89,000 followers, which has now grown to over 110,000.
The incident is similar to the messages sent out by a HMV employee after the struggling retailer fell into administration.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Agency Candidates Required Michael Page Digital GBP25000 - GBP50000 per annum, Guildford
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...