On the Agenda: Women over 40 to be offered IVF
Women over the age of 40 are to be allowed IVF treatment through the NHS for the first time, as a result of updated guidelines.
In more detail
The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) published its updated guidelines on fertility treatment last week, advising that women between the ages of 40 and 42 should be offered one round of IVF through the NHS if they have not previously received it. Previously, this was denied to women over the age of 39. In addition, women who have been unable to conceive naturally will qualify for IVF after two years, rather than three.
NICE wrote a comprehensive comms plan at the start of the guidelines’ development, which included strategies to contain any potential media speculation before publication of the updated guideline. An embargoed press conference was held two days before publication, with a release made available for the day of publication.
The story was covered by all the main broadcasters throughout the day, including the BBC, which also ran it as the lead health story on its website. More than 50 broadcast interviews were conducted by the institute’s spokespeople and the story was splashed in The Guardian. It was also covered by The Independent, The Times, Daily Mail, The Daily Telegraph, The Sun and Daily Mirror.
This article was first published on prweek.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Executive air recruitment Up to £22K (dependent on experience) plus benefits and bonuses, Central London