Morrisons cleared of 'outdated' gender stereotypes by ad watchdog
Morrisons has been cleared of sexism by the advertising watchdog over its TV ad that showed a mother struggling to cope with Christmas preparations.
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) ruled that creative did not reinforce "outdated stereotypes of men and women", with the decision coming a month after Asda's Christmas ad was also cleared of sexism.
The Morrisons campaign, created by DLKW Lowe, begins with a voice-over stating, "And so it begins", followed by a number of surreal scenes, including the woman wrestling a dead turkey.
A total of 26 viewers complained the ad was offensive and sexist because it reinforced out-of-date stereotypes. This is far short of the 620 complaints the Asda ad provoked, although Asda was subject to a concerted social media campaign that provoked the interest of pressure group Fathers 4 Justice
Morrisons defended its campaign by claiming the idea behind it was conceived after "socially representative focus groups" provided a message that a lot of working mums still "bore the brunt" of Christmas.
The ASA decided not to ban the ad because it believed it did not imply it reflected every family's experience and was not likely to condone harmful or discriminatory behaviour.Follow @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Head of Marketing - Travel. Better Placed Recruitment £80000 per annum + Car + bonus + Benefits , Leeds