Topless Rihanna ad escapes ban
A topless image of pop star Rihanna has escaped censure from the ad watchdog despite complaints that it contained sexual imagery and was inappropriate for display where children could see it.
Rihanna: her Live Nation poster ad is cleared by the ASA
The Advertising Standards Authority received two complaints about a Live Nation poster promoting a Rihanna concert, which featured on an Ocean Outdoor site close to the A40 and showed the star without a top.
Despite receiving two complaints that the ad contained sexual imagery and was not appropriate to be shown in places where children could see it, the ASA ruled the ad was not "overtly sexual
Although Rihanna was topless, her elbow and the ad’s text covered her nipples and the majority of her breast, and the ASA found the image portrayed confidence rather than being "sexually suggestive".
While the ASA understood some consumers would find the image distasteful, it ruled the ad was not in breach of the ad industry code, was not unsuitable for public display, and did not need a placement restriction.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)