Topless Rihanna ad escapes ban
A topless image of pop star Rihanna has escaped censure from the ad watchdog despite complaints that it contained sexual imagery and was inappropriate for display where children could see it.
Rihanna: her Live Nation poster ad is cleared by the ASA
The Advertising Standards Authority received two complaints about a Live Nation poster promoting a Rihanna concert, which featured on an Ocean Outdoor site close to the A40 and showed the star without a top.
Despite receiving two complaints that the ad contained sexual imagery and was not appropriate to be shown in places where children could see it, the ASA ruled the ad was not "overtly sexual
Although Rihanna was topless, her elbow and the ad’s text covered her nipples and the majority of her breast, and the ASA found the image portrayed confidence rather than being "sexually suggestive".
While the ASA understood some consumers would find the image distasteful, it ruled the ad was not in breach of the ad industry code, was not unsuitable for public display, and did not need a placement restriction.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London