Emirates Old Trafford to be new name of Test cricket ground
Emirates is to be the official stadium naming-rights partner of Old Trafford cricket ground, leading to the renaming of the ground as 'Emirates Old Trafford', it has been announced.
Old Trafford: from left, Steven Croft; Daniel Gidney, chief executive Lancashire County Cricket Club; Laurie Berryman, vice-president Emirates UK, and Glen Chapple, club captain
The 10-year deal marks a significant move by the Dubai-based airline to enhance its presence in cricket, adding to its position as Official Worldwide Partner to the International Cricket Council (ICC).
Emirates sponsored the 2012 World Twenty20 championships in Sri Lanka and it has held the naming rights to Durham's Chester-le-Street ground for the past three years.
Naming rights have become an increasingly popular way for sporting clubs, particularly football and cricket teams, to raise revenues.
Along with the renaming of the Old Trafford ground, the Emirates brand will also appear on Lancashire's Twenty20 kit as part of the deal.
Currently, Emirates has a presence in a number of sports, including football, cricket, horse racing and motor sport. It has sponsorship deals with Arsenal, Paris Saint-Germain and AC Milan football clubs, and is a global partner of F1 motorsport.
Old Trafford will host the third Ashes Test between England and Australia in August – the first time it has staged a Test since 2010.
Michael Cairns, chairman of Lancashire County Cricket club, said: "The intention to secure a naming rights partner was always on our list of objectives. However, it remained paramount that we secure a partner who was actively committed to cricket and its future, while at the same time had significant interest in Manchester and the North-West.
"The financial benefits of this deal are a component of our long-term strategy for commercial sustainability."
No financial details of the deal have been disclosed.Follow @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Global Marketing Operations Manager Lallemand Animal Nutrition Competitive salary including car allowance, bonus incentive and private health insurance., Cirencester, Malvern, Toulouse base.
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...