Mail Online is like 'journalism crack' says editor
Martin Clarke, publisher of Mail Online, has described the Daily Mail's all-conquering website as the "crack cocaine" of journalism.
Mail Online: labelled the crack cocaine of journalism
In an interview with the Financial Times, Clarke said people are addicted to it as he talked about the success of the paper that has beaten The New York Times and The Guardian to become the world's biggest newspaper online.
Clarke said: "People are addicted to it. It's like journalism crack."
The FT reported Mail Online was planning to aggressively expand its international digital media empire, with plans to hire teams of reporters and ad executives across the US.
The expansion comes after the Mail Online started the New Year with a record high of 126,753,431 global monthly unique browsers in January, according to ABC figures.
That's an increase of 12,716,350 additional browsers from December's 114,037,081, growth of 11%. Mail Online also passed nine million unique browsers in a single day for the first time.Follow @gordonmacmillan
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...