Negative tweets can benefit a brand, says Domino's marketing director
Negative tweets can prove beneficial to a brand by driving "a lot of interest", according to Simon Wallis, the marketing director of Domino's Pizza.
Splash!: ITV show fronted by Tom Daley
Wallis was speaking in reference to Domino's sponsorship of 'Splash', Tom Daley's much-derided ITV show, which aired in January.
The show suffered a Twitter backlash with tweets attacking ITV for "plumbing new depths" and "scraping the barrel" in broadcasting the show, which was fronted by the 18-year-old Olympic diver Daley, who served as a diving mentor to celebrities.
But Wallis argued the coverage was positive for Domino's: "You would rather have people talking about it than not. Twitter comments help drive a lot of interest in the brand."
Wallis said the negative tweets "didn't reflect badly on Domino’s Pizza" as being a sponsor, "it was detached" from the negative comments around the show.
It is understood that Domino's is now looking to sponsor the next series of 'Splash'.
Wallis pointed to the viewing figures of the show, which were widely seen as being successful.
An average of 5.6 million viewers turned in to see former ski-jumper Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards win the final show.
Simon Wallis, sales and marketing director of Domino's, is providing a keynote address at this year's Media360, run in association with Marketing. More details of Media360 being held in London on 6-7 June at http://www.media-360.co.uk/ For programme details click here
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Category Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, Sputh East
- Regional Assistant Brand Manager- Europe Ball & Hoolahan £25,000 per annum, South East