Global adspend increases despite weakness in Europe
Worldwide advertising spend rose 3.2 per cent to $557 billion (£362 billion) last year, despite advertisers in Europe tightening their belts, after spend increased in the TV, internet, radio, outdoor and cinema sectors.
According to Nielsen’s latest Global AdView Pulse report, TV continued to dominate with 62.8 per cent of adspend in 2012, growing 4.3 per cent from 2011. Magazines and newspapers were the only sectors to decline.
Despite internet advertising increasing by the greatest margin at 9.9 per cent, it only accounted for 1.9 per cent of the overall global ad market in 2012.
Europe was the only region in which adspend declined in 2012, down 4.2 per cent year on year. The UK saw spend decrease by 1.6 per cent across the year.
Egypt led the growth in the Middle East and Africa, which posted the highest adspend increase at 14.6 per cent.
North America saw spend rise by 4.6 per cent, while Asia-Pacific reported a 2.8 per cent increase – a dramatic slowdown from the 11.5 per cent rise registered in 2011.
Chris Hayward, the head of investment at ZenithOptimedia, said: "Most of the major agencies, and even some clients, identify markets like China, the Middle East and South America as major targets for growth.
"The outlook has been relatively pessimistic for Europe but, within that, there’s a varied picture. People need to step back and consider what Europe can do that is not going on in other areas."
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Online Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Agency Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £23000 - £27000 per annum + Amazing benefits, London
- Agency Account Manager Ultimate Asset £27000 - £30000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Account Managers and Executives Needed Ultimate Asset £23000 - £25000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, London
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London
- PPC Senior Executive - Big Brand - PPC Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London