UK TV advertising spend to decrease in second quarter
Media agencies have warned the TV ad market could decline by around 5 per cent year on year in the second quarter - a more severe drop in spend than had been expected.
British Airways: advertised heavily as London 2012 sponsor
According to estimates from media agency buyers, the UK TV market could fall by 2-6 per cent between 1 April and the end of June when compared with the same period of 2012.
Across the quarter, agencies have forecast overall TV adspend could decrease by between 2 and 4 per cent year on year in April, by between 2 and 6 per cent next month and by up to 6 per cent in June.
The second quarter in 2012 was boosted by FMCG brands advertising early to avoid the busy period around Euro 2012 and the Olympics, followed by sponsors, such as British Airways, advertising ahead of the tournaments.
Due to the special events of last year, media agencies expected the market to show year-on-year decline in the second quarter, but sources suggested this has been more pronounced than originally forecast.
Although ITV is expected to struggle year on year in the second quarter due to the tough comparatives, the broadcaster’s performance will be stronger in July and August because those months were softer last year.
The estimates for a weak second quarter follow a strong start to the year, with TV adspend up around 5 per cent year on year in the first three months.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Online Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Agency Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £23000 - £27000 per annum + Amazing benefits, London
- Agency Account Manager Ultimate Asset £27000 - £30000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Account Managers and Executives Needed Ultimate Asset £23000 - £25000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, London
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London
- PPC Senior Executive - Big Brand - PPC Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London