BP set for Olympic, Paralympic and Commonwealth Games sponsorship
BP is set to sign a major sponsorship deal which will run across the British Olympic Association (BOA), British Paralympic Association (BPA) and the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Commonwealth Games: BP set to sponsor the event in Glasgow next year
The deal is set to be announced in the coming weeks and follows BP’s sponsorship of the London 2012 Olympics, which was widely seen as a success for the company.
"BP did really well out of London 2012 and is keen to green itself up by aligning itself with sponsorships," a source told Marketing.
The deal is likely to run up to and beyond the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
The signing up of BP would mark a coup for the organisers of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games, which has been forced to adopt a "sales-led" strategy to attract sponsors amid a tough sponsorship market conditions.
BP will join existing top-tier sponsors of the Commonwealth Games, Emirates, Longines and SSE.
It also represents a boon for the BOA, which critics suggest has been slow to sign up sponsors post London 2012.
However, the BOA countered some of that criticism by signing up Nissan as a sponsor while a deal with Barclays is also likely to be announced.
BP said: "We are not going to comment on speculation of who we may or may not be supporting at this stage."
The financial size of the deal is as yet unknown.
The BOA, BPA declined to comment.
A spokesperson for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games said: "Due to commercial confidences, we would not comment on any speculation regarding prospective sponsors."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)