MTV undertakes Snapchat experiment to promote Geordie Shore
MTV has put Snapchat, the time-limited photo and video sharing app, at the centre of the digital marketing campaign for the sixth season of UK reality show 'Geordie Shore', in what it claims is a TV first.
Geordie Shore: MTV to use Snapchat app to promote new series
Starting today, MTV will be sending out exclusive photographs and videos from its own 'Geordie Shore' Snapchat account directly to fans' smartphones, giving them a sneak peak of the "cheekier side" of the sixth series, which premieres on 9 July.
Complementing the Snapchat activity is an on-air campaign, which launched on 18 June, showing a mobile phone left lying on a beach, which is revealed in the style of the post-credits scene of 'The Hangover' to contain the Newcastle group's holiday snaps.
Snapchat, which launched in September 2011, has become the latest darling of the rapidly expanding social media sector, with its valuation soaring from $60m (£39m) to $800m (£518m) this year.
At the same time, its user base, which runs into the millions, has expanded beyond its early teenage adopters and it now claims some 200 million images are shared a day via its platform, up from 60 million in February.
However, with almost half of Snapchat users having received nude or inappropriate photos, the platform has gained an unwanted reputation as the app of choice for sexting and, perhaps as a result, brands have been slow to get on-board. Brands that have used Snapchat to engage with consumers include Taco Bell and New York frozen yoghurt chain 16 Handles.
Jo Bacon, MTV UK vice-president of marketing, creative and publicity, said: "Strategically for this campaign, Snapchat completely lends itself to the creative concept for series six, offering us a direct marketing route to our fans by reaching them on their most beloved devices.
"Providing even more exclusive and irreverent content to our fans gives them immediate access to all the need-to-know series information, allows us to tease storylines and, more interestingly, use the platform as a means of driving real-time tune-in reminders in a period where TV viewing habits are ever-changing."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Senior Account Manager Twist Recruitment £32000.00 - £40000.00 per annum, City of London