VisitBritain 5% funding reduction a 'good result', says chairman
VisitBritain, the national tourism agency responsible for marketing the UK to the rest of the world, has had its funding cut by 5%, which chairman Christopher Rodrigues has called a "good result" for the body.
The Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) was previously understood to have agreed an 8% cut to its £2.2bn departmental budget with the Treasury, which was thought to signal a double-digit cut to VisitBritain’s Government funds.
DCMS yesterday revealed a £62m budget reduction for 2015/16, equalling a 7% reduction to its resource budget for the year.
Culture secretary Maria Miller confirmed VisitBritain’s funding had been "protected" and reduced by 5%, under the proviso that the body continues to "identify innovative solutions that will allow budgetary reductions to be managed".
Rodrigues claimed the cut in funding to VisitBritain to just under £20m is "clear evidence of the minister’s commitment to the tourism industry".
He said: "VisitBritain is working hard to ensure Britain benefits from the unprecedented image boost of 2012.
"Most of our marketing is now match-funded by industry partners including British Airways, easyJet, Expedia, P&O and Emirates. This extends the impact of our overseas marketing programmes which help bring 31 million visitors to the country and earn our nation £18.6 billion in foreign exchange."
VisitBritain claims its partnership in the cross-Government GREAT campaign will provide it with an additional £12m for tourism marketing in key overseas markets this year.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)