VisitBritain 5% funding reduction a 'good result', says chairman
VisitBritain, the national tourism agency responsible for marketing the UK to the rest of the world, has had its funding cut by 5%, which chairman Christopher Rodrigues has called a "good result" for the body.
The Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) was previously understood to have agreed an 8% cut to its £2.2bn departmental budget with the Treasury, which was thought to signal a double-digit cut to VisitBritain’s Government funds.
DCMS yesterday revealed a £62m budget reduction for 2015/16, equalling a 7% reduction to its resource budget for the year.
Culture secretary Maria Miller confirmed VisitBritain’s funding had been "protected" and reduced by 5%, under the proviso that the body continues to "identify innovative solutions that will allow budgetary reductions to be managed".
Rodrigues claimed the cut in funding to VisitBritain to just under £20m is "clear evidence of the minister’s commitment to the tourism industry".
He said: "VisitBritain is working hard to ensure Britain benefits from the unprecedented image boost of 2012.
"Most of our marketing is now match-funded by industry partners including British Airways, easyJet, Expedia, P&O and Emirates. This extends the impact of our overseas marketing programmes which help bring 31 million visitors to the country and earn our nation £18.6 billion in foreign exchange."
VisitBritain claims its partnership in the cross-Government GREAT campaign will provide it with an additional £12m for tourism marketing in key overseas markets this year.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Brand Manager Clipper Ventures Circa £40k - dependent on experience, South East England / South West England / Gosport, Hampshire
- Commercial Market Analyst UCAS c.£35,000 , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Customer Insight Manager Tottenham Hotspur Between £40,000-£45,000 per annum + benefits (dependant on experience), London (North), London (Greater)
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Executive Innesco £20k-26k, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)