Ex-Virgin marketing chief launches alcohol-free bar chain
Former Virgin marketer Catherine Salway has launched an alcohol-free "bar movement" called Redemption, aimed at consumers who want to go out on the town but avoid drinking booze and eating meat.
Former Virgin group brand director Catherine Salway
The concept will roll out next week, initially with a pop-up venue on the rooftop of Netil House in Hackney,
Salway, who was once described by Virgin founder Sir Richard Branson as the company’s "brand guru", said that the concept came to her when she was looking to launch a socially-responsible idea that would challenge convention.
She said: "An ex-boyfriend, who has a bad relationship with alcohol, wanted to meet up one evening in
Redemption "gastrobars" will sell customers alcohol-free mocktails and locally-sourced, vegetarian food, with musical accompaniment from live sets by special-guest DJs.
Virgin and Salway parted ways in early 2011. She had spent 15 years at the firm, the last seven as group brand director with responsibility for the overarching Virgin brand and marketing strategy.
Redemption will work closely with local communities, teaching people how to cook with food that would otherwise end up as waste, offering employment opportunities and supporting charities that work with people with addiction problems.
"The idea so far has been welcomed with open arms," Salway added. "Londoners see it as meeting a real need, hitting the zeitgeist and ‘the next big thing’ in the leisure market."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Amnesty International Secretariat £52,464, WC1X 0DW
- Head of Editorial Compliance Telegraph Media Group Competitive + excellent benefits, London
- board director > DIRECT RESPONSE EVANGELIST collectivo to £90k + bens, LONDON
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Product Manager Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £50,000 + car , London
- Associate Digital Account Director / Digital Client Director Twist Recruitment £0.00 - £80000 per annum, London