Marmite Rescue Team ad cleared despite 504 complaints
Marmite's controversial ad featuring neglected tubs of the yeast extract spread will not be investigated by the Advertising Standards Authority, despite the number of complaints hitting 504.
Marmite: rescue ad cleared by the ASA
The complaints have been about both the online and TV versions of the ad, created by Adam & Eve/DDB, and have maintained the ads were "irresponsible" and offensive".
Complainants argued the ad "trivialised the abuse of children and animals as well as the work of child and animal protection services", were "unsuitable to be seen by children" and "might cause distress to people who had been victims of abuse".
However, the ASA found there were no grounds to take action because although some people might find the ads "distasteful", most would "recognize the ads were a spoof".
It concluded that, therefore, the ads were unlikely to cause serious or widespread offence, to cause fear or distress to children, or to be irresponsible.
The ASA also found the ads were "light-hearted in tone" and so did not trivialise issues of abuse or the work of children- and animal-protection services.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)