Marmite Rescue Team ad cleared despite 504 complaints
Marmite's controversial ad featuring neglected tubs of the yeast extract spread will not be investigated by the Advertising Standards Authority, despite the number of complaints hitting 504.
Marmite: rescue ad cleared by the ASA
The complaints have been about both the online and TV versions of the ad, created by Adam & Eve/DDB, and have maintained the ads were "irresponsible" and offensive".
Complainants argued the ad "trivialised the abuse of children and animals as well as the work of child and animal protection services", were "unsuitable to be seen by children" and "might cause distress to people who had been victims of abuse".
However, the ASA found there were no grounds to take action because although some people might find the ads "distasteful", most would "recognize the ads were a spoof".
It concluded that, therefore, the ads were unlikely to cause serious or widespread offence, to cause fear or distress to children, or to be irresponsible.
The ASA also found the ads were "light-hearted in tone" and so did not trivialise issues of abuse or the work of children- and animal-protection services.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)