Campbell's to launch Andy Warhol tribute soup cans
Campbell's has partnered with the Andy Warhol Foundation to produce a limited edition range of tomato soup cans inspired by the artist's paintings.
The series of four Warhol-style labels have been designed in colours including white and yellow, and pink and teal, and will launch on 9 September.
Supermarket chains Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Waitrose are set to stock the limited edition cans, with Warhol-related promotional activity including sampling taking place in store.
The Campbell’s brand featured in a series of 32 Warhol canvases produced in 1962, each reflecting a different flavour of soup that the company produced at the time.
Although Campbell’s did not commission Warhol to paint its cans the company went on to become a supporter and established the Andy Warhol Scholarship Fund with the New York Art Academy. Warhol produced the artworks after claiming he had the soup for his lunch every day for 20 years.
Andy Warhol Foundation director of licensing Michael Hermann said: "We are delighted to celebrate the enduring legacy of these two icons by bringing Warhol’s art back to the Campbell’s soup cans that provided him with inspiration."
The cans appeared on Woolworths supermarket shelves in Australia this summer, launching on 26 June. They were first launched in Target stores in the US last September to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the paintings.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Trainee Account Executive Michael Page Digital £16000 per annum, Guildford
- Market Insight & Reporting Manager Michael Page Digital £42800 - £50300 per annum, London
- Senior Display, Social and Mobile Manager Michael Page Digital £75000 - £78000 per annum, Middlesex