MTV launches online prank campaign
MTV UK has launched an online prank campaign that tricks viewers into thinking they are chatting live in a webcam forum to people from the latest series of 'Catfish'.
The second series of 'Catfish' begins on 2 September and follows the stories of couples who have fallen in love online without ever meeting each other in real life.
The interactive promotion, created by Ralph, aims to highlight that people can never know who they are talking to online, by tricking fans into believing they are talking to someone from the series when in reality, the experience is pre-recorded.
It starts with Blake, a fictional character pretending to be from the show, talking about meeting a girl called Laura, whom he met online and who was not actually who she said she was.
The video, shot in one continuous take, swaps the actor twice, objects in the background disappear and are switched, and the website itself changes colour.
MTV claims that despite these changes happening in plain sight, 75 per cent of those tested did not notice, due to a psychological phenomenon called "change blindness", where participants overlook large changes as their attention is divided at key moments.
The campaign launched yesterday and is being promoted by the 'Catfish' and MTV UK Twitter and Facebook accounts, alongside promoted tweets. Banner ads on the MTV online networks will also direct viewers to the promotion.
The promotion was created and produced by Ralph. The creative team on the campaign was Laura Davies as copywriter and Sebastian Chaloner as the art director. Gregor Stevenson directed the ad.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London