Dennis launches kids' magazine
Dennis Publishing, the independent publisher of titles such as The Week, is breaking into the children's market for the first time with the launch of Berty Squiggles, a kids' colouring and activity magazine.
Berty Squiggles: Dennis Publishing's debut title in the children's magazine market
MagBook, Dennis's in-house bookazine business, will produce the title, which will be targeted at 4- to 7-year-olds and is predicted to have an initial print run of 40,000. Berty Squiggles will be in shops from today, costing £2.99.
Kerem Kolcak, the production manager at MagBook, thought up the concept of launching an activity magazine, and designed, edited and created the new title.
The title is currently published as a trial version, and Dennis Publishing aims to produce it as a regular frequency title once it has seen what demand there is and what opportunities there are on other platforms.
Dharmesh Mistry, the publisher at MagBook, said: "Within the MagBook division, we look to innovate and produce titles that cover new areas.
"ABC figures over the past two years demonstrate that parents regard magazines as powerful education tools for children, so we developed a product that would both entertain and help educate kids."
He explained that the character of Berty Squiggles, described as a "jet-setting dog", was created after MagBook researched into what appealed to children and their parents.
The magazine will be available in WH Smith, and the first issue will come with a free set of crayons. It will comprise 36 pages and its content will include a "match the colours" page and a page that lets kids create their own Berty Squiggles.
There is no advertising in the magazine and there are no plans to include advertising in future issues.
Other Dennis Publishing titles include Auto Express, Men's Fitness, Bizarre magazine and PC Pro.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Marketing Manager - Entertainments Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance , South East England
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...