Dennis launches kids' magazine
Dennis Publishing, the independent publisher of titles such as The Week, is breaking into the children's market for the first time with the launch of Berty Squiggles, a kids' colouring and activity magazine.
Berty Squiggles: Dennis Publishing's debut title in the children's magazine market
MagBook, Dennis's in-house bookazine business, will produce the title, which will be targeted at 4- to 7-year-olds and is predicted to have an initial print run of 40,000. Berty Squiggles will be in shops from today, costing £2.99.
Kerem Kolcak, the production manager at MagBook, thought up the concept of launching an activity magazine, and designed, edited and created the new title.
The title is currently published as a trial version, and Dennis Publishing aims to produce it as a regular frequency title once it has seen what demand there is and what opportunities there are on other platforms.
Dharmesh Mistry, the publisher at MagBook, said: "Within the MagBook division, we look to innovate and produce titles that cover new areas.
"ABC figures over the past two years demonstrate that parents regard magazines as powerful education tools for children, so we developed a product that would both entertain and help educate kids."
He explained that the character of Berty Squiggles, described as a "jet-setting dog", was created after MagBook researched into what appealed to children and their parents.
The magazine will be available in WH Smith, and the first issue will come with a free set of crayons. It will comprise 36 pages and its content will include a "match the colours" page and a page that lets kids create their own Berty Squiggles.
There is no advertising in the magazine and there are no plans to include advertising in future issues.
Other Dennis Publishing titles include Auto Express, Men's Fitness, Bizarre magazine and PC Pro.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)