Dear me: Letters to my younger self
While help and guidance are crucial, experience also plays a significant role in one's career development. Here, Nabs asks some industry luminaries to share what they have learned with their younger selves.
It started with a chance conversation. A chat about the value of maturity in such a fast-changing environment as advertising and media developed into the question: what advice would you give to your younger self? What would you tell the fresh-faced you, about to embark on a career in one of the most exciting – and competitive – professions?
Before we knew it, thanks to the industry support Nabs has, Karen Blackett, Dave Trott, Cilla Snowball and Debbie Klein had penned words of wisdom to their younger selves. Their advice comes from the invaluable benefit of hindsight and the clarity that comes with experience.
Nabs harnesses backing from the letter-writers below, and many others like them, to provide support in the form of soft-skills workshops, evening talks from industry luminaries and the Fast Forward initiative for rising stars who get to be mentored in a ten-week programme and then pitch to a real client, as well as an advice helpline and financial support.
It’s gratifying to note that Nabs has played some part in the careers of the high-profile correspondents below. More importantly, these letters underline that, while technology is changing the profession almost beyond recognition, maturity and experience have an invaluable role to play in nurturing the talent of the future – we are, after all, a people business, and the advice below has universal and timeless resonance to everyone working in the field today.
Zoe Osmond, chief executive, Nabs
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Senior Account Manager Purple Consultancy £35000 - £42000 per annum, London
- Account Manager Gemini Search £24000.00 - £32000.00 per annum, City of London
- Global PR Account Executive / Senior Account Exec Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £17000 - £23000 per annum, Benefits: Bonus and Benefits , Manchester