Brewers in Euro drive to bolster lager sales
Anheuser-Busch InBev and Carlsberg are among the drinks manufacturers approaching creative agencies with a brief to boost beer sales across Europe under the Global Brewers Initiative.
Let There Be Beer: the campaign was launched on behalf of UK organisations and beer brands
The coalition also includes Heineken, Molson Coors and SABMiller, as well as the not-for-profit organisation The Brewers of Europe.
Brands within the group have approached agencies on their rosters to invite them to pitch for the brief.
It is understood that the pitch is being handled directly by the coalition, which hopes to undertake research for the campaign before Christmas and produce work in the first or second quarter of 2014.
The coalition will either opt for a single agency to create a Europe-wide campaign or a number of agencies to handle different regions.
The initiative follows the Let There Be Beer campaign, which was created by Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R for UK organisations and brewers (some of which are also involved in the European push).
A spokesman for The Brewers of Europe confirmed the organisation supported and was involved in the campaign but said the beer manufacturers were leading the process. He added that the driving force behind the European campaign was the same as for the UK push – declining beer consumption – but that the marketing solution could be very different.
The most recent figures from The Brewers of Europe show that beer consumption across the European Union dropped from 359 million hectolitres in 2009 to 355 million hectolitres in 2011.
SABMiller and Heineken both suffered sales declines in Europe in the first half of 2013 – of 1 per cent and 3 per cent respectively – and blamed the mild spring across the continent.
AB InBev, Carlsberg, Heineken and Molson Coors did not respond in time to comment.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London