IAB Engage: People use web-connected devices 34 times a day
The average person uses an internet-connected device 34 times a day, as over half of smartphone owners turn to their phone rather than face 'down-time', according to research from the IAB.
Speaking at the IAB Engage conference, University of East Anglia school of psychology lecturer Dr Simon Hampton claims the research proves the smartphone is now an extension of the human body.
He said: "The smartphone is a component of your self and I wonder as a result of that it will be trusted to make the large purchase."
The IAB research included 700 hours of video footage from twenty people wearing a FishEye camera, which took a picture every five seconds over a three day period, to give a sense of how people are now using smartphones.
Tim Elkington, director of research and strategy at IAB UK, said the IAB commissioned research agency Firefish to collect the footage because unlike a lot of reported behaviour on smartphone use, the Fisheye helped to truly capture how people are using their devices.
Hampton added footage of one of the female respondents held her phone proved how important the device has become psychologically because she was grasping the phone "like a chimpanzee holds food".
Additional findings from 1,350 interviews among smartphone owners found that 37% of respondents admitted to using their phone during a lull in conversation with friends.
The research also found one in six (17%) of UK smartphone owners said their phone had played some role in the purchase made in the last fortnight either through browsing, researching or buying.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Marketing & Research Manager - $1.8b Global Publisher Recruitment Revolution Excellent Salary + Bonus Potential + Full Corporate Benefits Package, Chichester
- CRM Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£60K + Benefits Package, Central London
- Senior Marketing & New Business Manager Dynamic New Alliances £32000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Benefits, City of London
- Visual Merchandising Manager (Retail, Fashion, Creative, VM) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum + Negotiable, Hertfordshire
- Marketing Manager - Iconic London Brand Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £50K-70K + Benefits Package, Central London