HMV.com attempts to recreate 'authority' of in-store experience
HMV has launched a website today that focuses on "curation, content and editorial" in an attempt to recreate the "authority" of its in-store experience.
HMV: updates website
The website has been created by Code Computerlove and replaces the holding site put in place by Hilco Capital in April after HMV fell into administration.
The HMV website has been designed to encourage the discovery of both new and old products. An editorial team curates the content, which includes contributions from staff across the company’s chain of 142 stores.
The site will also become personalised, based on users’ interests and past purchases, while the new HMV online music store, integrated into the site, incorporates 30-second track previews into articles, to drive the purchase of MP3s across Mac, PC, Android, iOS, Blackberry and Windows Phone.
Caroline Pesch, who heads up the HMV.com team, said: "A key element of the site is the sense of community and ease of use for finding local and relevant information.
"In addition to editorial features and reviews store staff can post their own picks and tips based on what’s happening on a local level."
The launch of the new site coincides with research showing HMV has shed market share in the entertainment segment after falling into administration, with the majority of its former shoppers going to Tesco, Asda and Amazon.
HMV lost 7.4 percentage points year on year for the 12 weeks to October, according to research from Kantar Worldpanel.
Percentage share of the entertainment market (includes physical sales of videos, games and music and digital sales of music)
|12 wks to 30 Sep 12||12 wks to 29 Sep 13||% change|
Research also showed the release of Grand Theft Auto V pushed the games market back into growth for the first time in five years, with Asda and Tesco benefitting the most from the launch of the game.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire
- Senior Marketing Director - 9-12 month FTC Comedy Central £competitive, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Innovation Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)