VIP responds to e-cigarette ad clampdown with innuendo-filled campaign
VIP, an e-cigarette and e-liquid brand, is launching a raunchy ad campaign filled with sexual innuendo in reaction to the ad watchdog's clampdown on e-cigarette advertising.
Two minute-long viral ads and two 20-second TV ads include a woman telling the viewer, "I want you to get it out, I want to see it, I want to feel it, hold it, put it in my mouth, I want to see how great it tastes", as the camera zooms in on her mouth and eyes.
The 20-second TV spots, which cannot include the product in the ad, have been cleared by industry body Clearcast and aired after the 9pm watershed yesterday in the ITV Granada region.
VIP said the activity represented a "new generation" of television advertising for e-cigarettes following recent ASA rulings, which included ads being banned for not making it clear the e-cigarettes contained nicotine.
David Levin, co-founder of VIP, said: "I think it’s safe to say that our ads could be considered controversial and definitely push the boundaries. However, we make no apologies for this.
"Due to advertising regulations, we were not permitted to include the product in the ad, so we decided to take a tongue-in-cheek approach to appeal to an adult audience and communicate the superior taste of VIP products whilst making it clear that they do contain nicotine."
VIP understands the ad will be viewed as controversial and anticipates a "reaction", but claims it takes its responsibilities as an e-cigarette manufacturer "extremely seriously".
Levin added: "E-cigarettes offer smokers an alternative that is widely regarded to be less damaging to health than traditional tobacco cigarettes, and at VIP we only market our products to existing smokers over the age of 18."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £65000 - £70000 per annum, London
- Account Director The Great & The Good £45000 - £50000 per annum, West End
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000, London (Central), London (Greater)