3 great ads Gerry Human had nothing to do with
Gerry Human, chief creative officer at Ogilvy & Mather London, shares three ads he admires but had nothing to do with, in the latest in Brand Republic's 3 Great Ads series, in association with Thinkbox.
"There’s a proliferation of film in the world right now, so it’s more important than ever before to create film that lives above what’s out there in the world." Human chooses three ads that he thinks do just that, in the latest in our series with Thinkbox
His choices begin with an ad for a mobile phone that's presented in a "magical, mysterious and different way", like he’d never seen before. "Dance", created for Orange by Mother, shows a typical domestic scene slowly turn in to an emotional ballet by the two characters. It’s the score, by Brian Eno, that helps distinguish this ad for Human: "each bell is perfectly synchronised with a very interesting and captivating movement. It keeps reminding you to look again."
Music is also core to Human’s second choice, where it is used in a "cheeky, ironic way". In Harvey Nichols’ "Walk of shame, by DDB UK (now adam&eve DDB), Cat Stevens’ Morning has Broken is the soundtrack to women making their way home the morning after the night before, giving the ad "a lovely sense of humour".
In contrast, Human’s final ad is marked by its simplicity. "Mum" for John Smith’s was created by Trevor Beattie and Paul Silburn, then at TBWA\London, and stars comedian Peter Kay trying to evict his mother from her own home. It’s the quality of scriptwriting and simple observation that proves for Human that "great advertising isn’t in any way formulaic."
See Human's choices and past 3 Great Ads here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Creative Director - Digital Network Career Consultants £80000 - £100000 per annum, City of London