JOMO, or the joy of missing out
In the latest in our Forward 50 trends series, Nicola Kemp examines the pleasure of staying in, switching off and disengaging.
In the always-on, multiscreening, stressed-out, over-hyped and time-pressured digital age, JOMO (joy of missing out) is a key trend. The pleasure of staying in, switching off and disengaging from the world around us cannot be underestimated.
Entrepreneur Anil Dash, who coined the phrase, explains: "There can, and should, be a blissful, serene enjoyment in knowing, and celebrating, that there are folks out there having the time of their lives doing something that you might have loved too, but are simply skipping."
For brands and agencies that have developed an unhealthy reliance on "generation over-share" and consumers frantically uploading their every interaction onto multiple social networks, JOMO may prove a headache.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london