Asos beats Amazon and John Lewis in Pinterest Christmas battle
Asos has beaten Amazon and John Lewis to the top spot for the most shared content on Pinterest in the lead up to Christmas, according to a study by digital marketing firm Searchmetrics.
Asos: beats Amazon and John Lewis in Pinterest Christmas battle
A study of the UK’s 10 biggest retail sites found that content from Asos was shared an average of 1,728 times on Pinterest in the four weeks to 22 November, followed by Amazon.co.uk with 1,233 shares and John Lewis with 791 shares.
The worst performers were B&Q and Tesco, with B&Q coming bottom of the pile with an average of just four shares a week, according to the research.
Despite Amazon having the second-largest amount of shared content, the Amazon.co.uk Pinterest page only had 81 followers at the time of the research.
The Amazon.co.uk page appears to be inactive with no content uploaded to the virtual "boards" that have been created, but despite that people are still sharing Amazon's vast range of products on Pinterest.
|Retailer||Average pins per week||Total pins||Pinterest Followers|
|Marks and Spencer||267||16,063||8,909|
Asos’s 48,000 followers dwarves its next nearest competitor Marks & Spencer, which has five times fewer followers with its standing at 8,909 on 22 November.
Marcus Tober, chief technology officer and founder of Searchmetrics, said: "Asos seems to really get Pinterest and social networking.
"It’s not just about pushing your own content but being social and trying to share content that your followers on Pinterest might find useful or entertaining – even if it doesn’t produce a sale for you."
Over the two years Searchmetrics has been collecting the data, Asos has recorded a total of 160,958 pins on the social network, compared to Amazon’s 90,357 and Debenham’s 89,577.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1