Asos beats Amazon and John Lewis in Pinterest Christmas battle
Asos has beaten Amazon and John Lewis to the top spot for the most shared content on Pinterest in the lead up to Christmas, according to a study by digital marketing firm Searchmetrics.
Asos: beats Amazon and John Lewis in Pinterest Christmas battle
A study of the UK’s 10 biggest retail sites found that content from Asos was shared an average of 1,728 times on Pinterest in the four weeks to 22 November, followed by Amazon.co.uk with 1,233 shares and John Lewis with 791 shares.
The worst performers were B&Q and Tesco, with B&Q coming bottom of the pile with an average of just four shares a week, according to the research.
Despite Amazon having the second-largest amount of shared content, the Amazon.co.uk Pinterest page only had 81 followers at the time of the research.
The Amazon.co.uk page appears to be inactive with no content uploaded to the virtual "boards" that have been created, but despite that people are still sharing Amazon's vast range of products on Pinterest.
|Retailer||Average pins per week||Total pins||Pinterest Followers|
|Marks and Spencer||267||16,063||8,909|
Asos’s 48,000 followers dwarves its next nearest competitor Marks & Spencer, which has five times fewer followers with its standing at 8,909 on 22 November.
Marcus Tober, chief technology officer and founder of Searchmetrics, said: "Asos seems to really get Pinterest and social networking.
"It’s not just about pushing your own content but being social and trying to share content that your followers on Pinterest might find useful or entertaining – even if it doesn’t produce a sale for you."
Over the two years Searchmetrics has been collecting the data, Asos has recorded a total of 160,958 pins on the social network, compared to Amazon’s 90,357 and Debenham’s 89,577.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- London Cluster Partnerships Manager The London Eye £37,000 per annum (pro rata), London
- Activation Executive (Contract) Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment To £30,000 plus benefits, London (Greater)