'Generation Expectation' ultra-consumers
Members of this group come with the belief that every aspect of their lives is governed by a consumer economy, writes Nicola Kemp in the latest in our Forward 50 trends series.
A lecturer at one of the UK’s top universities has complained that there is a tendency among her students to see their education as a consumer transaction and expect everything on their own terms and to their own schedule – in many ways demonstrating a huge sense of entitlement to what they view as "their 2:1".
When students are paying, on average, £8500 a year in tuition fees, it is easy to see where this heightened expectation comes from. Yet education requires skill and commitment, not just cold, hard cash.
However, it is not just universities that are feeling the pressure of this generation of "ultra-consumers". Whether dealing with a government, a charity or an NGO, members of this group come with the belief that every aspect of their lives is governed by a consumer economy – in which they believe they have all the buying power and attendant control.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Digital Senior Sales Manager - Leading Ad Tech Business Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + 100% COMMISSION , London