Vodafone to replace McLaren F1 sponsorship with social media-led events
Vodafone has revealed it will put on social-media driven events such as a "multi-sensory fireworks display" to replace its global sponsorship of McLaren F1.
Vodafone: to replace its F1 sponsorship with social media activity
The ‘Vodafone Firsts’ own-brand engagement strategy will replace its traditional "badging" global sponsorship approach and will launch across all Vodafone markets throughout 2014.
Vodafone’s new social media led approach will seek to focus on "people doing remarkable things for the first time" and will be supported by Vodafone’s technology and connectivity.
Barbara Haase, group brand director at Vodafone, said: "Firsts represents a radical break with almost a quarter of a century of Vodafone-branded badged sponsorship.
"Firsts is designed to reflect a sense of empowerment and excitement by using our technology and connectivity to enable a diverse range of people to achieve their remarkable ambitions."
Vodafone says it will activate its first "First" in London on New Year’s Eve with a "multi-sensory" fireworks display it has made in collaboration with the Mayor of London and food scientists Bompas & Parr.
The fireworks display will attempt to create a show thousands of attendees will be able to "see, taste and smell" and will be supported by an augmented reality app for those who are unable to attend.
There are three tiers to the Vodafone strategy, including ‘global Firsts’ that will target people in multiple countries; ‘local Firsts’ that focus on events that will resonate with one particular country, and ‘personal Firsts’ that appeal to individuals’ ambitions.
Additional Firsts that have been planned include a sportswoman taking steps to protect some of "the world’s most vulnerable women"; a professional surfer attempt to achieve a lifetime ambition; a musician creating a recording with sounds from remote locations, and a "revolutionary approach to conducting an orchestra".
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)