Festive magazine covers: Santa returns to Radio Times
Father Christmas made a comeback on magazine covers this year with his first appearance on the front of Radio Times since 2009, when he was banished as a "symbol of indulgence" during tight times.
If the return of Santa's rosy-cheeked smile to TV listings magazines is anything to go by, austerity might well be over.
IPC Media's TV Times and TV & Satellite Week featured similar hand-drawn images of Old Saint Nick, which contrasted with Time Out's "c-word" cover where Santa seemed to be sporting some seriously enhanced eyelashes.
Indulgence was the theme of Immediate Media's BBC Good Food and IPC Media's Woman & Home's Feel Good Food this year, showcasing sumptuous deserts with lashings of glitter and sparkle.
Home interests magazines also kept covers decadent – despite a white colour theme on Hearst Magazines UK's Country Living and IPC Media's Livingetc – drawing all eyes to the scene-stealing Christmas trees.
Woman & Home's deluxe December issue opted for a golden bauble wreath in place of the usual cover star. Its rival Hearst Magazines UK's Good Housekeeping kept to its usual Christmas formula, with Kirstie Allsopp, a Christmas tree and bundles of presents.
Most magazines adopted the Christmas "bumper issue" trend, including IPC Media's Nuts and Bauer Media's Closer, although their attempts at festive spirit went little further than red crushed-velvet accessories.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Digital Planner- Charity brands Dynamic New Alliances £55000.00 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Marketing Manager Brand Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, Suffolk
- Account Director - RTB Accord Group Limited c. £40,000 per annum, Central London WC1A 1DG
- Senior Account Manager Twist Recruitment £35000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Super Benefits!, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Designer - Marketing and Communications Brand Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Buckinghamshire