Mars cuts back chocolate bar size but keeps price up
Mars has cut the size of its Mars and Snickers bars by 10% in a bid to meet its calorie commitments as part of the government's Responsibility Deal, but has opted not to reduce the price.
Mars: 'work rest and play' TV ad
Mars says it has shrunk its Mars bar from 58g to 51g and its Snickers bar to 48g, to meet its public health targets.
The calorie count in the bars has now dropped from 260 to 229 and from 280 to 245 respectively, according to reports in The Grocer.
The move follows Mars’ pledge in 2012 to reduce the calorie content of its single serve products to 250 by the end of 2013.
A spokesperson from Mars said: "As part of our global commitment to promote responsible consumption, and as a signatory of the Responsibility Deal’s calorie reduction pledge, we [said we would] ensure that all of our single serve chocolate products would contain no more than 250 calories per portion.
"To meet our commitment, having taken product reformulation as far as we can for now without compromising the great taste, we have reduced the portion size of Mars and Snickers to bring down the calorie content."
In October, confectionery brands faced renewed pressure to take responsibility for their strategic positioning at check outs, after the government’s new public health minister Jane Ellison termed the issue "an area for action".
Ellison said food promotion has been identified as an area for action under the Responsibility Deal, and discussions will be happening between the government and the food industry on actions it might take to reduce exposure to marketing and promotion of less healthy food.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1