Asda reveals new high-street format as convenience battle heightens
Asda is trialling a new high-street store format, as it seeks to challenge Tesco and Sainsbury's in the burgeoning convenience grocery market.
Asda: supermarket giant is moving into the convenience store sector
The retailer has refitted a 4,000 square-foot 'Asda Supermarket'-branded store in Woodseats in
The store, a former Netto which has been branded Asda since 2011, includes innovations such as "Click and Collect" storage and collection points, as well as enhanced food-to-go and bakery offerings.
Asda chief executive Andy Clarke told The Grocer: "With this store in
It forms a wider part of Asda’s belated attempt to muscle into the convenience sector. Last month, it was revealed the supermarket partnered with Transport for
At Asda’s third-quarter results presentation last month, Clarke conceded the retailer is considering opening convenience stores, but will only do so towards the end of the five-year plan once it has reinforced its commitment to price.
Clarke said: "I’m passionate that we don’t compromise our value position, which some [other supermarkets] maybe have done with the formation of convenience stores in their retail chains."
Research firm Mintel estimates that the
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London