Asda reveals new high-street format as convenience battle heightens
Asda is trialling a new high-street store format, as it seeks to challenge Tesco and Sainsbury's in the burgeoning convenience grocery market.
Asda: supermarket giant is moving into the convenience store sector
The retailer has refitted a 4,000 square-foot 'Asda Supermarket'-branded store in Woodseats in
The store, a former Netto which has been branded Asda since 2011, includes innovations such as "Click and Collect" storage and collection points, as well as enhanced food-to-go and bakery offerings.
Asda chief executive Andy Clarke told The Grocer: "With this store in
It forms a wider part of Asda’s belated attempt to muscle into the convenience sector. Last month, it was revealed the supermarket partnered with Transport for
At Asda’s third-quarter results presentation last month, Clarke conceded the retailer is considering opening convenience stores, but will only do so towards the end of the five-year plan once it has reinforced its commitment to price.
Clarke said: "I’m passionate that we don’t compromise our value position, which some [other supermarkets] maybe have done with the formation of convenience stores in their retail chains."
Research firm Mintel estimates that the
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Digital Account Executive - Creative Consumer Agency Hanson Search up to £26,000, London