Beyoncé album smashes iTunes record after dropping 'boring' marketing build up
Beyoncé's new album has become the fastest selling album on iTunes after selling 828,773 albums in its first three days, without using a traditional marketing campaign.
Beyonce: visual album goes straight to number one
The 14 finished tracks and 17 videos were released in one go on iTunes on Friday without any warning, with Beyoncé revealing she took the surprise decision because she was bored with the traditional music marketing process.
Releasing all the tracks and videos at once comes as the TV industry is also experimenting with new models with Netflix releasing the entire season of 'House of Cards' in one go.
The self-titled Beyoncé album has proved a global sensation and has gone to number one in 104 countries.
The fifth album is being marketed as Beyoncé’s "first visual album" because it involved shooting 17 "visually stunning and provocative videos" in locations including Houston, New York, Paris, Sydney and Rio de Janeiro, before the album’s release.
Apple said the Beyoncé album, which is on the Parkwood Entertainment/Columbia Records label, broke the US first week album sales record by selling 617,213 copies in the US.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, Central London